Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I get a map?
A Map which covers New Hampshire and Vermont, can be ordered online, at many local outdoor retailers, or by calling the NorthWoods Stewardship Center at 802-723-6551. The Connecticut River Watershed Council's Boating guide is the best printed reference for the entire river.

Can I make a reservation?

  • Vermont and New Hampshire: Currently there is no reservation system in place for the primitive campsites, except at Vermont's Wilgus State Park (802) 674-5422. All of the other campsites are currently available to paddlers on the river without charge or advance reservation. Some campsites might be closed due to maintenance, abuse from users, or for the winter. Before embarking on your trip, it is best to check the campsite status page at
  • Massachusett and Connecticut
  • Yes. Reservations are required for all existing sites in Massachusetts and Connecticut.

How big are the campsites? How many people can stay at the campsites?
Generally, the maximum group size at a river campsite is twelve people or 3 tents. However, many campsites are only suited for smaller groups. Check the list of campsites as you plan your trip. Please limit your stay to no more than two nights per site. If the campsite is full and you must find another place to camp for the night, request permission from the landowner. Parties of 10 or less will avoid special use permit requirements from the State of VT.

Is the trail complete?
No. Currently there is an 85 mile gap in campsites between Gill, MA, and Cromwell, Connecticut. Trail partners are working to develop new campsites to close this gap. Help support this effort!

Who takes care of the campsites?
Each campsite, access point, and portage trail has a designated site steward charged with annual maintenance. Many organizations rely on volunteer site adopters to complete annual monitoring and maintenance tasks.