Several campsites below breached dam. River and foot access only.
Adjacent to the old Lyman Falls dam, now breached, the property provides access to some of the finest trout fishing in New England and hosts several outstanding primitive canoe campsites. Plunge pools, rapids and riffles below Lyman Falls have the effect of oxygenating the water to create an excellent cold-water fishery. In 1903, the old Lyman Falls dam brought the first electric power to the country. Since its removal in 1963, the site had become a popular recreational spot. The moderate, wade-able gradient and consistent riffles below have attracted anglers from all over for the fine catch-and-release fishing. Believing that the property should be in public ownership, Malcolm Washburn and Dallas Washburn Chase, owners of Washburn Lumber of Colebrook, NH, sold the property to Vermont River Conservancy (VRC). Upon purchase VRC conveyed the property to the Vermont Department of Forests, Parks & Recreation . The site is being managed as a primitive canoe-campsite, water-access only, and a foot-access fishing area.
United States44° 46' 32.5776" N, 71° 35' 44.5128" W
Distance to Next Campsite:2.5
Max Group Size:Suitable for Large Groups
Site Type:Offical Campsite
Site Adopter Needed?:No